Project Title: INSTALLATION OF AFRIDEVS /INDUS WATER HAND PUMP IN RURAL AREAS.
Project Leader: Arshad Ali Abbasi.
Project Group: Abdul Khaliq Shaikh, Nusrat Samtio, Ashfaq Hussain Abbasi, Mujahid Hussain Memon.
Per Afridevs Cost: $70 (Rs. 7000 PKR)
Requiement : About 4000 Afridevs are required for 40 different cities / towns in Sindh. About 100 Afridev will be installed in each city / town in Sindh. About $280000/- (PKR 28 Million)
Khadmain Sindh Foundation (KSF) is busy in installing Afridevs / Indus Water Hand Pumps in rural areas where natural drinking water is available under the soil that will be beneficial for those who are facing difficulties to get it and also cannot afford to install a cheapest Afridevs / Indus Water Hand Pump, in addition to this, the people can be protected from the diseases like cholera and so on.
About 768 million people – roughly one in ten of the world’s population – have no choice but to get water from wherever they can, whether it’s a dirty pond or an expensive water vendor.
Without access to safe water for drinking, cooking and cleaning, people are more likely to suffer from water-related diseases. These can be fatal, killing around 2,000 children a day in the world.
Pakistan is on the verge of being classified as a “water scarce” country, the Asian Development Bank has warned in a report.
In Pakistan 33% people are drinking river, well, pond and other water, where 42% people of province Sindh get the water from the same sources and facing major diseases.
The time, energy and economy required to fetch water, together with the negative health impacts of using dirty water, also has a huge impact on people’s ability to work or get an education.
In the areas where we work, poor communities often cannot access sufficient quantities of safe water locally, due to poor infrastructure and bad management of services. This can be down to a lack of skills, investment or political will to priorities the right to water.
By installing Afridevs / Indus Water Hand Pumps in rural areas where natural drinking water is available under the soil that will be beneficial for those who are facing difficulties to get it and also cannot afford to install a cheapest Afridevs / Indus Water Hand Pump, in addition to this, the people can be protected from the diseases like cholera and so on.
According to an study around 700,000 children die every year from diarrhoea caused by unsafe water and poor sanitation. That’s almost 2,000 children a day.
VLOM, meaning Village Level Operation and Maintenance, is a term first used during the UNDP and World Bank Rural Water Supply Hand Pumps Project. This project lasted from 1981 to 1991, and studied the availability and maintenance of hand pump systems. 40 kinds of hand pumps were analyzed in laboratories, and the performance of 2700 hand pumps was analyzed in the field. The study established that centralized maintenance structure was a cause of many problems in hand pump programs, and that maintenance at the village level is best.
About 100 AFRIDEVS / INDUS WATER HAND PUMPS have been installed by Khadmain Sindh Foundation (KSF) different villages of Larkana division in Sindh province of Pakistan from the help of provided funds by notable citizens.
Pure Drinking Water Plant has been provided in Shaheed Makhdoom Bilawal Village in Karachi, Chandka Teaching Hospital Larkana, in addition to this in villages; Goth Mehmoo Deo, Syed Jo Goth, Goth Lal Bux Lund, Goth Khedkar, Tharo Dero, Aaghani Goth, Goth Aaqil, Goth Lahniyo Samahtiyo in Larkana were installed with about 100 Afridevs / Indus Water Hand Pump (Nalkas).
AFRIDEV / INDUS WATER HAND PUMP:
The Afridevs / Indus Water Hand Pump is suitable for lifting water up to depth of 45m very easily. Though it also works as more as up to 60m but it needs then more maintenance and care. It is suitable for boreholes with casing sizes of nominal 100mm, 127mm or 200 mm internal diameter and Hand Dug Well.
- Ideal VLOM (Village Level Operation and Maintenance) Designed and developed keeping in view maintenance Problem.
- Capable of lifting water from depths up to – approx 45 meters.
- Fully fabricated steel structure duly Hot Dip Galvanized.
- Adjustable Handle to suite varying installation depths.
- Injection Molded special grade plastic bush bearings easy to replace at village level.
- Interchangeable plunger & foot valves easy extract without removing riser pipe.
- Non-corrosive underground components capable of handling corrosive water situation there by giving longer life.
- Easy installation and inexpensive maintenance at village level. Women can handle easily.
- The complete system of KAWSAR AFRIDEV Hand pump consists of four main sub assemblies briefly described below.
PUMP HEAD ASSEMBLY:
- Fully fabricated steel structure duly Hot Dip Galvanized.
- Adjustable handle providing different handle settings to suit different cylinder setting depths.
- Conical flange with conical rubber grommet provides better holding grip on UPVC Riser Pipe.
- Fulcrum & rod hanger pins are supported on special grade plastic bush bearing which are very easy to replace at a village Level.
- Fully covered to avoid any contamination of water. Design offers a stroke length of 225mm.
- UPVC pipe 63mm (OD) x 4.7 mm thick lined from inside with seamless brass liner 50 mm I.D. x 700 long.
- Interchangeable plunger and foot valves made out of interchangeable injection molded delrin with stainless steel pick up device mounted on foot valves for easy extraction of Foot valve without removing riser pipe.
- U-seal, bobbins steel and O rings are of nitride rubber and plunger rod of stainless steel and can be mild steel.
- Larger dia extension pipe at the bottom of cylinder reduces silt and sand intake.
- Sleeve is provided for plastic rope to pass for supporting the System during installation and maintenance.
- OUR REQUEST:
- We request to our citizens to provide us funds in order to protect and serve the humanity. Your donations can save thousands of children. Your keen interest for the bright future of nation will be highly obliged.
- You are further requested to provide us minimum one Afridevs / Indus Water Hand Pump and be a part of our team to eradicate poverty from the society and make the people healthy so the bright and fruitful nation could serve the country in future.
- Thanking for your response.
Arshad Ali Abbasi
Khadmain Sindh Foundation